Make A Baby Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook's Make a Baby Discussion Forum

HomeYay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 I_icon_mini_portalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!

Go down 
+20
Yining
Kelsey
Tara Alley
Krissy Tang
girlcrush12
animalgirl7011
Dark King
Catherine
ChrEllie
Alia S. Holmes
bekabook91
Michelle
MPP-Kani
AdminDeanna
Unsubscribe.
EmmettCullenXD
emptysaucer
Ally
Mackenzie
HannahBender
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MPP-Kani
MPP-Kani

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 5:31 pm

What kind of program do you use? Do you use mediashout, easyworship, or something else?
Back to top Go down
HannahBender

HannahBender

Number of posts : 46

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 10:59 pm

MABMPP wrote:
What kind of program do you use? Do you use mediashout, easyworship, or something else?

SongShow Plus =]! lol
Back to top Go down
Alia S. Holmes

Alia S. Holmes

Number of posts : 52
Job/hobbies : Entertainer(singer, actress)

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 11:32 pm

I'm a methodist and God rocks my socks.

However I'm not big on following the bible down to the period. Nor am I huge fan of church, I go on the holidays and thats about it. I believe you can worship and believe in God without going to church.
Back to top Go down
ChrEllie
Admin
ChrEllie

Number of posts : 100
Job/hobbies : You don't want to know...

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 2:30 am

I'm an atheist!
But I want to post anyway XD
Back to top Go down
MPP-Kani
MPP-Kani

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 2:36 am

Well, this post is about religion in general, not just Christianity, so it's definitely ok if you post Ellie, since Atheism is a religion. ^-^
Back to top Go down
Michelle
Admin
Michelle

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 2:40 am

AliaR. wrote:

However I'm not big on following the bible down to the period. Nor am I huge fan of church, I go on the holidays and thats about it. I believe you can worship and believe in God without going to church.

Technically that is more of a Lutheran belief than a Methodist belief.

And the Bible was never meant to followed literally. Do you really believe the snake spoke? It was designed to be a moral and ethical guide.
Back to top Go down
ChrEllie
Admin
ChrEllie

Number of posts : 100
Job/hobbies : You don't want to know...

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 2:23 pm

MABMPP wrote:
Well, this post is about religion in general, not just Christianity, so it's definitely ok if you post Ellie, since Atheism is a religion. ^-^

Most people don't count it. Since I don't believe in the concept of God.
Back to top Go down
MPP-Kani
MPP-Kani

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Well, a religion is your set of beliefs, most especially about how the world works or came to be, or if it affects the way that you think about other things to do with the existence. If you don't believe in the concept of God, that that is part of your set of beliefs about the world, and therefore, a religion. Smile

I know many people don't count it, but I didn't know if you did. ^-^
Back to top Go down
Alia S. Holmes

Alia S. Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Kirsten wrote:
AliaR. wrote:

And the Bible was never meant to followed literally. Do you really believe the snake spoke? It was designed to be a moral and ethical guide.

Well I'm registered methodist and I wouldn't know much about it because like I said we're a pretty chill church my preacher talks about sports most of the time lol.

I agree with you whole heartedly I only pointed it out because I have talked to Christians that believe the bible should be taken literally. You know despite the fact that the bible contradicts itself.
Back to top Go down
Michelle
Admin
Michelle

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 1:08 am

AliaR. wrote:
Kirsten wrote:
AliaR. wrote:

Well I'm registered methodist and I wouldn't know much about it because like I said we're a pretty chill church my preacher talks about sports most of the time lol.

I agree with you whole heartedly I only pointed it out because I have talked to Christians that believe the bible should be taken literally. You know despite the fact that the bible contradicts itself.
Sorry if that sounded like I was asking you if you take it literally and critisziing you for it. I was trying to point out a flaw of bible thimpers. Did you know that one of the priciple ideas of Methodists is predestination. Like the Pilgrams you studied in school.
Back to top Go down
Alia S. Holmes

Alia S. Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:20 am

Kirsten wrote:
AliaR. wrote:
Kirsten wrote:
AliaR. wrote:

Sorry if that sounded like I was asking you if you take it literally and critisziing you for it. I was trying to point out a flaw of bible thimpers. Did you know that one of the priciple ideas of Methodists is predestination. Like the Pilgrams you studied in school.

Actually methodists don't believe in predestination we associate ourselves with the libertarian-Arminian view of free will, through God's prevenient grace, as opposed to the determinism of absolute predestination. In other words God knows the outcome in everything we do or choose to do but he does not know which choice we will make that is up to us.

The only methodists that believe in predestination are the Calvinistic Methodists.
Back to top Go down
Unsubscribe.

Unsubscribe.

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:44 am

i'm pentecostal, and we sorta follow the bible word for word, cus the bible contradicts itself yea, but not in a negative way, like

The Bible has many seeming contradictions within its pages. For example, the four Gospels give four differing accounts as to what was written on the sign that hung on the cross. Matthew said, “This is Jesus the King of the Jews” (27:37). However, Mark contradicts that with “The King of the Jews” (15:26). Luke says something different: “This is the King of the Jews” (23:38), and John maintains that the sign said “Jesus of Nazareth the King of the Jews” (19:19).

Those who are looking for contradictions may therefore say, “See—the Bible is full of mistakes!” and choose to reject it entirely as being untrustworthy. However, those who trust God have no problem harmonizing the Gospels. There is no contradiction if the sign simply said, “This is Jesus of Nazareth the King of the Jews.”

The godly base their confidence on two truths: 1) “all Scripture is given by inspiration of God” (2 Timothy 3:16); and 2) an elementary rule of Scripture is that God has deliberately included seeming contradictions in His Word to “snare” the proud. He has “hidden” things from the “wise and prudent” and “revealed them to babes” (Luke 10:21), purposely choosing foolish things to confound the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27).

(i found this from wayofthemaster.com)
Back to top Go down
Alia S. Holmes

Alia S. Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:55 am

Very interesting and informative post!

However when I meant contradictions I meant more along the lines of the new and the old testament. In the old testament it says an eye for an eye where in the new testament it says turn the other cheek.

As my friend put it "So are we supposed to knock them out then lean over their knocked out form and say 'Oh and by the way I forgive you!'?"

Though my response would be that violence is never the answer and I'd like to believe God is a loveing being.
Back to top Go down
Catherine

Catherine

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 5:13 am

I'm non-denominational Christian, and God definitely rocks Smile

As far as religion is concerned: to my friends that are religious, I'm not religious enough, and to my friends that aren't religious, I'm too religious. It's a tough spot to be in, but I wouldn't change it. I don't believe 100% in what is taught in Church or the Bible, and I take a lot of it with a grain of salt. I just take the basic teachings of Christianity and live my life by those lessons. All that matters is that I have faith in my religion and Jesus Christ.

I could talk about this for ages, but I may save that for another day if anyone is actually interested.

AliaR. wrote:
Very interesting and informative post!

However when I meant contradictions I meant more along the lines of the new and the old testament. In the old testament it says an eye for an eye where in the new testament it says turn the other cheek.

As my friend put it "So are we supposed to knock them out then lean over their knocked out form and say 'Oh and by the way I forgive you!'?"

Though my response would be that violence is never the answer and I'd like to believe God is a loveing being.

I myself have not read the whole Bible, but I can explain why there are contradictions between the Old and New Testament. Basically, in the old Testament, unless everyone followed God's word 110%, they'd be doomed to hell (supposedly). As for the New Testament, it's all about Jesus being the savior of man and how we should live to be like Him. In the Old Testament, God was to be feared, but in the New, He's very generous and loving. It's like... He decided that after having a son, that things should change on earth and that we should be more loving. Times before Jesus were supposed to be rough and difficult, and the people didn't have a savior to look up to. And after He was born, they were to live like He did and be selfless and caring. I hope that makes sense... it's 3AM and I'm running on very little sleep.
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/makeababy/baby/show_baby_profile/246139
Dark King

Dark King

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 12:08 pm

The Bible I lost interest in it as I keep on finding that the Bishops change the bible to there liking
Back to top Go down
Unsubscribe.

Unsubscribe.

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 4:34 pm

um...i don't think the bible has been changed since some centuries ago. maybe new versions have come out, like the new American version, the NIV etc, but it's concept and message hasn't changed. you should read the bible more, because everything the bible prophesied is coming to pass right now. so reading the bible is fun (i wuv the prophesies) you should give it a try again.
Back to top Go down
animalgirl7011

animalgirl7011

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 12:54 am

i'm a christian,
i don't know what branch though,
such as baptist, methodist, etc.
i don't think my church classifies under any.
i go to church every sunday.
i rarely go to bible studies
[mainly because they rescheduled it to fridays, which is my break day]
Back to top Go down
girlcrush12

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 1:56 am

*points to Self* Jesus Freak right here! (lol, Toby Mac calls Christians Jesus freaks. tongue ) I'm Evangelical, if that counts. If not, I'm just a Christian, but my best friend is a a catholic. So even though we believe very different things, we're still best friends, we usually stay away from religion if we possibly can so we don't start fights. All the fights we've had were over religion lol.
Back to top Go down
MPP-Kani
MPP-Kani

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 2:35 am

I run into the same thing with some of my friends too, lol. I have fewer arguments about religion with my couple of nonbelieving friends than I do with my catholic friends, so we usually avoid religion.

Yep! Definitely a Jesus Freak! Toby Mac made that song because lots of people call us jesus freaks in a bad way, but he wanted to make a song showing we didn't care because that was a good thing. I still get people calling em a jesus freak sometimes, when I'm not at school, and I just smile and thank them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Unsubscribe.

Unsubscribe.

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 6:14 pm

I love that song Jesus freak, i downloaded computer.
And yes, i have MAJOR arguments about religion with my atheist friends, it gets frustrating too rofl XD
Back to top Go down
Krissy Tang

Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Chili's Bar and Grill- Server
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:08 am

I love my Church and the Lord Smile
Back to top Go down
Michelle
Admin
Michelle

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 1:58 pm

I don't understand how poeple can say they love their church. You can love your faith, you can love your god(s), you can love what believing provides (a moral guide, a history, a story) and you can love the people that share your religion. But how can you love a church it is just a building.
Back to top Go down
MPP-Kani
MPP-Kani

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:08 pm

We love our churches because we aren't talking about the building. When we talk about loving our church, we mean the body of people, the environment, the praise and encouragement, and the spiritual atmosphere that all comes together at that actual building. For most Christians, church doesn't just mean a building, it either means the body of people who come together at that particular building, or the body of Christians everywhere as a whole. This is how we love our church.
Back to top Go down
Michelle
Admin
Michelle

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:15 pm

I still don't get it. Your relationship with God is personal. Why do you need other people? and why do you need to feel a kinship/ loving relationship with them?
Back to top Go down
Catherine

Catherine

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 3:37 pm

While relationships with God are personal, I believe the Bible encourages Christians to share their relationship with others. And personally, I find it's always nice to be around those who share a common interest. I loved my old church because of how they did their meetings and everyone who went. Going there always made me feel so happy and loved. And as Kanika said, when people say they love their Church, I don't think they meant the building. It means that they love everything that goes on inside that building, and how being in that building makes them feel. A Church is a place to gather Christians for meetings, and I don't see how any Christian wouldn't want to be around people who share the love of God. That's how I see it anyway.
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/makeababy/baby/show_baby_profile/246139
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!   Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yay, serious topic! this means I can talk about RELIGION!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next